Hate crimes include all of the criminal offenses with the addition of intimidation, vandalism, larceny, and simple assault. The additional crimes will only be counted in the Clery statistics if they are motivated by hate. The categories of bias include the victim’s actual or perceived race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity/national origin, and disability.
The unlawful taking, carrying, leading, or riding away of property from the possession or constructive possession of another. Attempted larcenies are included. Embezzlement, confidence games, forgery, worthless checks, etc., are excluded. Motor Vehicle theft is also excluded.
An unlawful physical attack by one person upon another where neither the offender displays a weapon, nor the victim suffers obvious severe or aggravated bodily injury involving apparent broken bones, loss of teeth, possible internal injury, severe laceration, or loss of consciousness.
To unlawfully place another person in reasonable fear of bodily harm through the use of threatening words and/or other conduct, but without displaying a weapon or subjecting the victim to actual physical attack.
Destruction/Damage/Vandalism of Property
To willfully or maliciously destroy, damage, deface, or otherwise injure real o personal property without the consent of the owner or the person having custody or control of it.
Hate Crimes Bias Categories
Bias is a preformed negative opinion or attitude toward a group of persons based on their race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity/national origin, disability, or gender identity. Although there are many possible categories of bias, only the following categories are reported:
- Race: A preformed negative attitude toward a group of persons who possess common physical characteristics (e.g., color of skin, eyes, and/or hair; facial features, etc.) genetically transmitted by descent and heredity, which distinguish them as a distinct division of humankind (e.g., Asians, blacks, whites).
- Religion: A preformed negative opinion or attitude toward a group of persons who share the same religious beliefs regarding the origin and purpose of the universe and the existence or nonexistence of a supreme being (e.g., Catholics, Jews, Protestants, atheists).
- Gender: A preformed negative opinion or attitude toward a group of persons because those persons are male or female.
- Gender Identity: Bias based on gender is preformed negative opinion or attitude toward a group of persons because of actual or perceived gender-related characteristics.
- Sexual Orientation: A preformed negative opinion or attitude toward a group of persons based on their sexual attraction toward, and responsiveness to, members of their own sex or members of the opposite sex (e.g., gays, lesbians, heterosexuals).
- Ethnicity/National Origin: A preformed negative opinion or attitude toward a group of persons of the same race or national origin who share common or similar traits, languages, customs and traditions (e.g., Arabs, Hispanics).
- Disability: A preformed negative opinion or attitude toward a group of persons based on their physical or mental impairments/challenges, whether such a disability is temporary or permanent, congenital or acquired by heredity, accident, injury, advanced age or illness.